Monday, December 27, 2010

A Christmas Surprise from Africa

My hubby and I sponsor two children in Africa through World Vision, Esnart in Zambia and Carilus in Kenya.  In addition to sending letters and little packages to your sponsored child, World Vision also allows you to give monetary donations (in addition to your monthly sponsorship pledge) directly to your child and their family.  World Vision staff who work where the child lives then take the child and family shopping for things they need.  You, the sponsor, then get a letter from your child along with a picture of what all was purchased! So cool!

Anywho, in mid-November I sent both kids an extra donation as a Christmas gift.  World Vision says to allow up to 4 months to receive the thank-you letter and picture (I know, 4 months sounds like a long time, but there are no Walmarts in Africa!).  Well, imagine my surprise when I opened the mailbox Christmas afternoon and saw a blue Air Mail envelope from Zambia!  I thought maybe it was just a letter (Esnart likes to keep us updated on the latest goings on in her family...we get lots of letters from her), but no, it was a thank-you letter with this picture attached:

This is my sweet Esnart with the items she and her family purchased with their Christmas money.  They bought two large bags of fertilizer for their family crops, a blanket, a pair of new shoes, and a new school uniform for Esnart.

To make a long story short, I had to miss our family Christmas dinner because I was sick.  I was sitting home alone feeling quite sorry for myself until I opened this letter.  I had to stop and think about what life must be like if fertilizer and a new school uniform can put such a big smile on a little girl's face.  That sweet smile was the best present I received this Christmas! :o)

Here's a picture of our precious Carilus (he must not have been in a picture taking mood...he really does have the cutest smile).  I can't wait to see what he and his family purchased on their shopping trip!


For more info on World Vision and sponsorship, click on the World Vision badge on the right! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment